Re: RC: Re: Feeding/hay suggestions

OK, you emigrant--we started getting this *great* 3 way
oat-barley-alfalfa a few years back.  My colt has been on it since he
was 6 months old, he's coming 4 now--gets that, and Grand Vite and
about 3 lbs of Western Working Horse (Ace Hi/Star Milling Co), and he
cleans that oat hay up.  So does coming-10 Ember, and I certainly
have no trouble keeping weight on.  There are loads that are less
palatable than others; we buy it all from Linda's.  My horses are
used as the benchmark for palatability for the barn (like Mikey,
they'll eat almost anything) -- though more than half of the others
are now fed the three-way instead of alfalfa for dinner (most of them
get Trojan's low protein alfalfa pellets for breakfast.)  The amount
of horses on oat increased after a TB there got a softball-sized
enterolith.

The three-way is definitely messier than alfalfa, but they're not
rooting around in the sand for every bit, like they do with alfalfa.
The first thing Ember does when fed is rip all the hay out looking
for the carrots that might be beneath. <sigh>

Part of the reason for low protein in the Trojan pellets is that one
of the ingredients is crushed almond hulls.  Haven't found any horses
that don't like 'em.

Lynne