Re: RE: Rider verses Horse size

>strong. There was a study at the Tevis (not sure if this year or last) that
>showed rider size had little or no effect on lamness as much as the
condition >and heaviness of the horse itself.  You'll get used to the feel
and love it,   I >have and

That was my study.  The upshot was that 'little' horses seem to be able to
carry considerably more weight that has been traditionally been believed (up
to around 30% of their own body weight), and that total mass (of both horse
and rider) contribute to lameness---thus, the larger (and therefore,
generally heavier) horse sometimes has a biomechanical disadvantage, and is
at less of a metabolic advantage, than was previously believed as compared
to a smaller critter.  Translation, if you've found a smaller, *sturdy*
horse that has all the right stuff and you are comfortable on, there is no
reason whatsoever why you cannot do just as well as you might on a taller
horse.  So, go have fun. :-))

Susan G