Fwd: ride fees

---- Begin included message ----

Your post to Ridecamp (ridecamp@endurance.net) was rejected
for one of the following reasons:

1. You are not a registered subscriber to Ridecamp. If this is the
case, you may register at http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp or
you may use the Guest form which is also available at
http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/

2. You are a registered subscriber, but the email address in the
Sender/ReplyTo field of your message does not EXACTLY match your
subscription email address. (e.g. fast@horse.com vs fast@mail.horse.com)

3. You may have been removed from the list. If your server is rejecting
email because of a full mailbox or technical difficulties, the message
bounces back to the Ridecamp server as 'not able to deliver this message'.
After several unsuccessful attempts to deliver messages, the Ridecamp
software will automatically remove the 'bad' email address from the
list. If you suspect that this is the case, you may go to the Registered
Ridecamp Subscriber form available at http://www.endurance.net/RideCamp/
and re-subscribe.

If you continue to have problems posting to Ridecamp, please contact
Steph Teeter at step@endurance.net.

--part1_92.103898b9.27b8a0e4_boundary

Becke and I have been following the recent =E2=80=9CRide Camp=E2=80=9DDiscus=
sion concerning=20
Pre-registration fees with a great deal of interest.
=20
Let us first thank Gene and Shelly Dake for opening this subject for=20
discussion.
=20
We have been putting on the Little Manistee Memorial and Tin Cup Spring Ride=
s=20
for over ten years now.=C2=A0In those ten years, we have seen the BUSINESS o=
f=20
putting those rides on change dramatically.
=20
You may notice that we have empathized the word BUSINESS.=C2=A0 We are in th=
e=20
business of operating the businesses of the LMM and TCS Rides. We=E2=80=99re=
 certain=20
other ride managers may agree with this concept.
=20
As a simple illustration, we offer the following:=C2=A0 The first time we pu=
t on=20
the LMMR, we dug two holes (the campsite in on our private property) in the=20
ground.=C2=A0 We then built two outhouses, bought two packages of toilet pap=
er and=20
two bags of lime.=C2=A0With that, we dealt with the issue of toilet faciliti=
es.
=20
Today, we have a two-inch thick file (and growing) of paperwork to comply=20
with the Michigan Department of Health regulations for the simple rental of=20
twoporta-potties.=C2=A0 In addition, we will pay a sanitation co. $300 for t=
hat=20
rental after the sanitation co. supplies theHealth Dept. with a copy of our=20
rental agreement.=C2=A0 Then the Michigan Department of Natural Resources wi=
ll=20
issue us an Event Permit after we satisfy and complete their paperwork.=C2=
=A0=20
(Their file is two-inches too and growing)
=20
When you factor in payroll (vet=E2=80=99s fees), fuel, food etc.,you develop=
 quite an=20
overhead.=C2=A0 These are immediate & definite business costs that must be p=
aid=20
before a rider pulls her/his rig onto our property, let alone pay a fee and=20
ride.
=20
Recently, we have been informed by our utility co. that they intend to seek=20=
a=20
100% rate increase by April/2001.=C2=A0 If this occurs, do we pass on our=20
increased overhead to pump water, light our yard for after dark vet-ins etc?=
=C2=A0=20
If we charge a pre-registration fee that is non-refundable, or 50%=20
refundable, are we cruel and self-seeking or we trying to operate a business=
?
=20
Contrary, to Louise Reidel=E2=80=99s statement in Ride Camp, concerning UMEC=
RA rides,=20
the LMM and TCS rides went $500 in the hole after all expenses were accounte=
d=20
for in 2000.=C2=A0 We don=E2=80=99t believe that we are poor business manage=
rs, but one of=20
the issues we are looking at for ride season 2002 is the use of=20
pre-registration fees if we can=E2=80=99t break even this year.
=20
The bottom line to all of this is that riders will tell us what is needed.=
=C2=A0=20
They will tell us verbally or in writing, or they will simply not show up fo=
r=20
the rides.=C2=A0 We second Lynne Glazer=E2=80=99s comments that all we=E2=
=80=99re really doing is=20
putting on a big party for our friends and family. (Thank God for volunteers=
)
=20
=20
Please allow me to add my personal perspective to this issue.=C2=A0 I don=
=E2=80=99t ride a=20
horse, but I stand (well, I actually sit) in awe of Becke preparing for a=20
ride.=C2=A0 She spends at least two days, checking the camper, the truck and=
 the=20
trailer.=C2=A0 She then loads all this with horses and dogs.=C2=A0She then d=
rives 100=E2=80=99s=20
of miles &=C2=A0pays a fee to ride 25, 50, 75 or 100 miles.=C2=A0 Then she s=
miles if=20
she is lucky enough to receive a completion award of a T-shirt and/or=20
ribbon.=C2=A0 Then she loads back up, drives 100=E2=80=99s of miles home and=
 is a tired=20
out lump for the next week.=C2=A0 However, she is already thinking in her mi=
nd=20
=E2=80=9CWhere I=E2=80=99m I going to ride in two weeks=E2=80=9D and she=E2=
=80=99smiling.=C2=A0 Now this is the=20
same woman who complains when I go fishing and don=E2=80=99t catch fish.=C2=
=A0 She asks,=20
=E2=80=9CWhy do I do it?=E2=80=9D=C2=A0I just smile.
=20
In parting, my brother-in-law once complained to me (as we were going fishin=
g=20
in his boat), that it was getting too costly to put gas in the boat.=C2=A0 I=
=20
replied to him, =E2=80=9CIf you can=E2=80=99t afford the gas, don=E2=80=99t=20=
own the boat.=E2=80=9D
=20
Hope to see you all in May and August!!!!
Jay & Becke Grams=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0

--part1_92.103898b9.27b8a0e4_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3D2>Becke and I have been fol=
lowing the recent =E2=80=9CRide Camp=E2=80=9DDiscussion concerning=20
<BR>Pre-registration fees with a great deal of interest.
<BR>=20
<BR>Let us first thank Gene and Shelly Dake for opening this subject for=20
<BR>discussion.
<BR>=20
<BR>We have been putting on the Little Manistee Memorial and Tin Cup Spring=20=
Rides=20
<BR>for over ten years now.=C2=A0In those ten years, we have seen the BUSINE=
SS of=20
<BR>putting those rides on change dramatically.
<BR>=20
<BR>You may notice that we have empathized the word BUSINESS.=C2=A0 We are i=
n the=20
<BR>business of operating the businesses of the LMM and TCS Rides. We=E2=80=
=99re certain=20
<BR>other ride managers may agree with this concept.
<BR>=20
<BR>As a simple illustration, we offer the following:=C2=A0 The first time w=
e put on=20
<BR>the LMMR, we dug two holes (the campsite in on our private property) in=20=
the=20
<BR>ground.=C2=A0 We then built two outhouses, bought two packages of toilet=
 paper and=20
<BR>two bags of lime.=C2=A0With that, we dealt with the issue of toilet faci=
lities.
<BR>=20
<BR>Today, we have a two-inch thick file (and growing) of paperwork to compl=
y=20
<BR>with the Michigan Department of Health regulations for the simple rental=
 of=20
<BR>twoporta-potties.=C2=A0 In addition, we will pay a sanitation co. $300 f=
or that=20
<BR>rental after the sanitation co. supplies theHealth Dept. with a copy of=20=
our=20
<BR>rental agreement.=C2=A0 Then the Michigan Department of Natural Resource=
s will=20
<BR>issue us an Event Permit <U>after</U> we satisfy and complete their pape=
rwork.=C2=A0=20
<BR>(Their file is two-inches too and growing)
<BR>=20
<BR>When you factor in payroll (vet=E2=80=99s fees), fuel, food etc.,you dev=
elop quite an=20
<BR>overhead.=C2=A0 These are immediate & definite business costs that m=
ust be paid=20
<BR>before a rider pulls her/his rig onto our property, let alone pay a fee=20=
and=20
<BR>ride.
<BR>=20
<BR>Recently, we have been informed by our utility co. that they intend to s=
eek a=20
<BR>100% rate increase by April/2001.=C2=A0 If this occurs, do we pass on ou=
r=20
<BR>increased overhead to pump water, light our yard for after dark vet-ins=20=
etc?=C2=A0=20
<BR>If we charge a pre-registration fee that is non-refundable, or 50%=20
<BR>refundable, are we cruel and self-seeking or we trying to operate a busi=
ness?
<BR>=20
<BR>Contrary, to Louise Reidel=E2=80=99s statement in Ride Camp, concerning=20=
UMECRA rides,=20
<BR>the LMM and TCS rides went $500 in the hole after all expenses were acco=
unted=20
<BR>for in 2000.=C2=A0 We don=E2=80=99t believe that we are poor business ma=
nagers, but one of=20
<BR>the issues we are looking at for ride season 2002 is the use of=20
<BR>pre-registration fees if we can=E2=80=99t break even this year.
<BR>=20
<BR>The bottom line to all of this is that riders will tell us what is neede=
d.=C2=A0=20
<BR>They will tell us verbally or in writing, or they will simply not show u=
p for=20
<BR>the rides.=C2=A0 We second Lynne Glazer=E2=80=99s comments that all we=
=E2=80=99re really doing is=20
<BR>putting on a big party for our friends and family. (Thank God for volunt=
eers)
<BR>=20
<BR>=20
<BR>Please allow me to add my personal perspective to this issue.=C2=A0 I do=
n=E2=80=99t ride a=20
<BR>horse, but I stand (well, I actually sit) in awe of Becke preparing for=20=
a=20
<BR>ride.=C2=A0 She spends at least two days, checking the camper, the truck=
 and the=20
<BR>trailer.=C2=A0 She then loads all this with horses and dogs.=C2=A0She th=
en drives 100=E2=80=99s=20
<BR>of miles &=C2=A0pays a fee to ride 25, 50, 75 or 100 miles.=C2=A0 Th=
en she smiles if=20
<BR>she is lucky enough to receive a completion award of a T-shirt and/or=20
<BR>ribbon.=C2=A0 Then she loads back up, drives 100=E2=80=99s of miles home=
 and is a tired=20
<BR>out lump for the next week.=C2=A0 However, she is already thinking in he=
r mind=20
<BR>=E2=80=9CWhere I=E2=80=99m I going to ride in two weeks=E2=80=9D and she=
=E2=80=99smiling.=C2=A0 Now this is the=20
<BR>same woman who complains when I go fishing and don=E2=80=99t catch fish.=
=C2=A0 She asks,=20
<BR>=E2=80=9CWhy do I do it?=E2=80=9D=C2=A0I just smile.
<BR>=20
<BR>In parting, my brother-in-law once complained to me (as we were going fi=
shing=20
<BR>in his boat), that it was getting too costly to put gas in the boat.=C2=
=A0 I=20
<BR>replied to him, =E2=80=9CIf you can=E2=80=99t afford the gas, don=E2=80=
=99t own the boat.=E2=80=9D
<BR>=20
<BR>Hope to see you all in May and August!!!!
<BR>Jay & Becke Grams=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0</FONT></HTML>

--part1_92.103898b9.27b8a0e4_boundary--

---- End included message ----
---- End included message ----