glucosamine- nutrients vs. pharmacueticals

Hi,
I have to disagree here.  The mechanism behind glucosamines's
beneficial effect is so different from that of cocaine, that it is not a
valid comparison.  We might argue that cocaine could enhance
performance, but glucosamine does not.  It provides substrate which
is used to repair cartilage.  It is not a pain killer, or antiinflammatory.
We do lots of work with our horses which stress cartilage.    Providing
nutrients to help it repair or maintain itself is, I think, a legitimate
application of biochemistry, much as providing additional calories,
vitamins, or electrolytes is.  A recent publication in The Lancet
demonstrated quite conclusively that use of glucosamine prevented
worsening of arthritic changes, i.e. joint space narrowing, over a span
of a few years.  This is a highly reputed, peer-reviewed journal and
the study was well done using several hundred people.  Quite
promising.
Just another opinion,
Beth Glace, MS
Sports Nutritionist
Lenox Hill Hospital
NY, NY

And the local peoples in the Peruvian mountains chew coca leaves "but they
just need a little help to be able to work more comfortably".

Bob Morris