Gag Supplements

Even if our horses are sound enough to do 100 miles , barefoot,  no splint boots,  no Gags, no electrolytes....why is this so important?  I believe that I should put on the best shoes I can, I have learned the folly of trying a tough 100  without splints (rocks have nothing to do with soundness), we are artificially stressing their bodies, beyond genetics, to require electrolytes, and good nutrition is also a humane act.  Don't forget Glucosamine is still considered a nutracital (sp) . It could be that mega doses in the feed make for expensive manure. sometimes I wonder. But still, I want my horses to be healthy in their old age, and will feed and worm them all these things to achieve that goal, in light of the extreme efforts they are asked to do.  If they are gonna bow a tendon, or get a stone bruise, or whatever..all the glucosamine in the world isn't gonna stop them from being pulled.  Other drugs maybe could mask the symptoms for a while until the  horse has totally broken down, but that's not what I'm interested in , and I don't think most of you are either.  For breeding purposes, I think we can make decisions based on, conformation, endurance and suitability long before the horse has done  1,000 competition miles, then it's frosting on the cake.  Beth