help! feed everywhere

does anyone have problems with horses grabbing at the feed and tossing it
out on the ground? it is driving me nuts!  they will push it around with
their nose grab a bunch and throw it out and do it again until almost all
the hay is on the ground. then of course half of that is smashed into the
mud and all I see is dollar bills disentigrating  into the mud......yes it
is winter and the boogers haven't been handled as much, and they only get
fed twice a day, and a diet of oat hay in the morning and alfalfa at night.
 any great suggestions?