Blistering

Annette Jacobs wildpony@san.rr.com
I just thought I'd throw in my two cents regarding blistering.

When I was a teenager, I hung around a kinda crusty race track trainer.  I
learned alot about horses, but some of it I could not accept & put into
practice.

He said the primary reason he gave the owners for a horse needing a
blister was to increase circulation to the injured area.
In reality, he said that often internal leg/stress injuries did not have
clear outward signs showing & it was difficult to explain & convince an
owner to give the horse 3-4 months off.  Once the blister was applied, the
leg was so ugly that he had no problem getting the owners to accept the
horse needed time off.

In short, the horses had to suffer the blistering so the owner would agree
to give him time off.

Sad but true in this case.

Annette