Bare Foot competition

I have been watching this thread with interest, especially that parts
dealing with "scientific proof", large studies, double blind, etc.

The essence of "science" is not in large studies and/or statistics, it is in
testing a hypothesis.  I prefer to phrase the hypothesis in the form of
questions.  In my years as an industrial chemist, I have found that often
answers to the important points can be obtained without spending the time or
money to answer the ultimate question.

Much of this debate has centered around the question:

Is the proper bare foot trim coupled with a certain life style as advocated
by Dr. Strasser the best and most humane way to prepare and compete with an
endurance horse?

A simpler sequence of questions may give those of us, who successfully
compete with steel shoes on our horses, the information necessary to decide
if bare foot competition is something we should consider.

To my mind the first two questions are:

1. Has any horse ever completed a 50 mile ride fit to continue with no foot
protection?  I believe that this has been done.

2. Has any horse ever had a successful season without the use of foot
protection?  Now a successful season must be defined.  I consider that
Ranger (Elegants Sultan, AERC # 14096) and I had a successful season in
2001.  He completed 250 miles with no pulls for any reason.  He was shod
with steel shoes.  These miles can be verified on line.  Is there a horse
that has completed 250 AERC miles in one year, where the owner will certify
that at no time did the horse have hoof protection on during that year?
Because I am from the Midwest where miles is miles, I consider 250 miles in
one year with any combination of endurance, LD and verifiable CTR miles
would be equivalent.

If there is a horse that has done this, we can consider further questions
about speed, rocks, genetic hoof makeup, how exactly to do the trim etc.  If
not I don't consider it worth my time to look into bare foot competition,
because I have a system that works as opposed to a system that has not been
shown to ever work.  Only after it is shown that bare foot competition can
work is it necessary to consider if it is the best way, or practical for you
and your particular horse.

Ed Hauser
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016