Trot, trot, trot

Angie's advice about using the stick was very good.  I'd also like to add that I try to make trotting with me as much fun for Toc as I can, by acting excited myself.  I know it sounds bizarre, but I find that if I do a leap in the air, and put some excitement into my voice, he really leaps into the trot and powers forward in a very show-offy trot.

Also, make sure you aren't hanging on your horse's head.  Give him / her as much room to move his head as possible.

Good luck.

Tracey