Re: RC: Barefoot Stats

>Karen Standefer hrschk@yahoo.com
>That doesn't answer my question.  How does the 3/8" rim of steel make a
>horse painless when travelling on rocks vs a barehoof which most on the
>list consider to be in pain and uncomfortable when travelling on rocks?
>Can you, please, explain the pain/no pain issue?

The shoe protects the white line (somewhat equivalent to the quick under
your fingernails) from abrasion and irritation from small bits of gravel
and sharp edges of rock  (irritating the white line by rubbing fine gravel
in it is one of the despicable tricks used to sore horses to get high lift
and action in some breeds in the show ring).   Shoes also prevent excessive
hoof wear in the course of a long ride (western trails are often granite or
pumice, which can wear steel to nothing in 100 miles or so -- barefoot horn
only grows so fast), which wear can shorten the hoof, reduce the sole
padding over the coffin bone, expose unconditioned white line to further
irritation, and lower the heel bulbs to the point of being liable to bruise.

Those who are interested in cruising over sharp rocks at speed normally
don't rely on just shoes to protect against sole bruising:  they use pads
or easy-boots in addition to the shoes.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky