How shoes prevent bruising

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Karen Standefer said:

> On that count I still have not heard any theory that makes
> any sense as to why a shoe prevents pain in a horse when
> travelling over rocks.  Can we get back to the original
> subject?  Can someone answer my question with something other
>  than:  "It pretty much goes without saying"

and...

> Nobody has explained that yet or even has a theory or guess.

Yes, I can answer this.  Much has been made by barefoot riding enthusiasts
(myself included) that if a (barefoot) horse is conditioned in rocks and
has "toughened up" the soles of its feet, then it can negotiate with ease
even the rockiest conditions without bruising.

And, as I said, in my experience, this is true.  However, it ceases to be
true when hoof wear out paces hoof growth.  When hoof wear out paces hoof
growth, the soles of a horse's feet become quite tender (and pretty damn
hot to the touch too, which indicates to me some pretty significant
inflamation).

The way that 3/8" of steel around the rim of the foot prevents sole
bruising is to keep hoof wear from outpacing hoof growth.

My horses happily clamber over and through the rockiest terrain (which is
what I have at home) with totally bare feet.  Until they start getting
short in the foot (but I stop asking them to do this before they are so
short that it leads to bruising).

If I put steel shoes on them, it stops them from getting short in the
foot.  After which they can happily clamber over and through the rockiest
terrain, no pads, no boots, etc.

The reason I use EasyBoots over steel shoes (when the footing is hard
going...like Death Valley) is not to protect the horse's feet from
bruising on the rocks/ground, but to protect the horse's feet from the
shock transmitting effects of the shoes.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  I have NOT used OldMacs over steel shoes, since it states quite
clearly in the product literature that it is inappropriate to use them in
this way.