From: Heidi Smith
To: Tara Wheeler ; ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 10:38 PM
Subject: RC: Re: Re: Darolyn & Barefootin'

The problem with the mustang analogy is that they are not carrying riders (as you pointed out), they only travel a fraction of 50 miles in a day, they can pick their own pace at any given time (and hence will slow down if they hurt), they can alter course at any time to select better footing if it hurts, etc.  One of the main ways that old-time mustangers caught them was to haze them for a few days, riding shod horses, pushing them past their usual daily mileage, until they became too sore to outrun the horses that were carrying riders.  Didn't take very many days at all, according to the old-timers I've talked to.

Heidi