was Dates - How the Arabs treated their horses

I find it hard to believe the Arab nomads mistreated/neglected their horses. I do understand that resources were/are scarce and they probably kept them fed as best they could. But their life depended on their war horse and not maintaining it as best they could makes no sense. They would have to breed horses in large numbers for them to be "disposable". I suppose to Europeans the horses looked starved half to death. Does the Koran actually have 'rules' regarding the horses' treatment, or is that myth? Where can one find info on how the horses were cared for, what tack was used, etc. without having to wade thru romantic crap?

                                                Shelly in DE