Re: Shavings shortage

Hello all,

Just a thought, but do you guys have access to wood stove pellets?   I
switched to pellets as bedding a couple years ago, and like them WAY better
than shavings.  They are easier to store than loose shavings, easier to
handle than the baled stuff, and cheaper in the long run.  They also don't
get stuck in manes, tails, and blankets as badly.

I use 5 bags per stall, which costs $13.20 ($2.64 a bag) and if I pick the
stalls every day that lasts at least a month, usually makes it to 6 weeks
before I have to strip and replace.  The pellets turn into sawdust when you
get them wet.... so you dump them in the stall, spray them with some water,
it absorbs it, and you have fluffy sawdust, and little bits of pellets to
soak up urine.

Around here you can get them at the feed stores by the ton, or sack. Most
hardware stores carry them too, as well as some of the other stores.  There
are some pellet manufacturers who market a special "Bedding Pellet". I have
tested them all, and they do not work any better than the cheaper stove
pellets,( Sometimes $2 a bag difference!!!!) in spite of claims to the
contrary.  I even had a sales rep come out and CLEAN one of my stalls if I'd
let him fill it with HIS pellets! *smile* Nothing like watching someone else
shovel shit!

I also use "Stall Dry" in the stalls, keeps down smell as well as moisture,
and isn't noxious like lime.

Just an idea.... hope it helps.

Julie, Natira the new girl,
Decker the Dweeb, and