Re: RC: Basic Conditioning

It seems to me there that the real question is what are your goals. For a rider who is interested in riding at the upper levels,
maybe even pursuing FEI, then there is one training/conditioning regiment necessary. We will assume that this rider is not a new
rider. For a rider interested in racking up miles on the trail, most likely in the form of multday rides, then there is another
conditioning/training regiment.  The wonderful thing about this sport is both people fit under the umbrella.

If your goal is endurance "racing" then you had better be worried about the who package. You need to stress the cardiovascular
system to promote the building of the capillary beds to both feed the muscles and to remove heat. This is not a 3 month project,
probably more along the lines of tendon and ligaments. You need to build sound legs and plan the schedule to keep them sound. You
will also not rack up huge numbers of miles at year at that speed because of the required rest. You will spend your time peaking.

At this level it is a race and cardiovascular system is of prime importance.

If you are interested in riding for miles and a slow pace, then cardiovascular conditioning is not as important and working for
sound legs is.

And of course neither endurance goal is right or wrong, I think most of us actually fall somewhere in the middle of this equation.

Truman

--
Vertex Engineering, Inc.
Innovative Solutions