Re: I'm having a problem - long!

  I had similar problems when I first brought Cy, my TWH home.
He was an idiot: would not stand while being mounted, spooked
at everything, went nuts when asked to stand under saddle.  I
cut his grain way back and did some clicker-training, which
really seemed to help (see
http://www.crisny.org/users/kurlanda/) for info on clicker
training horses).  But I think what helped the most was just
giving Cy time to settle in to a new place.  He had been with
his prior owner since he was a yearling (he was 8 when I bought
him), so he had not experienced alot of change in his life.
Horses are creatures of habit, so change is very unsettleing to
them.  Cy has settled down alot.  He still is a bit spooky, but
he just starts, so it is only annoying, not dangerous.  But he
now will stand for mounting and under saddle and in general is
much less of an idiot.  Another factor with Cy was that he came
from a farm with other horses to my house where he was alone,
which was very upsetting to him.  Is this the case with your
horse?  If so, you might want to find a companion for him.

  I am not wild about the idea if using Ace unless all else
fails.  I'd try doing lots of ground work, and perhaps lunging
before riding to 'take the edge off'.  Again, clicker training
can help teach specific coammds (such as 'stand'), and I found
it really helped Cy focus on me when he was being an idiot
(even if it was just to see if a treat was coming ;-)  ).

Good luck - don't give up on the new guy too quickly!

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag