conditioning

sheila paintmypony@yahoo.com
Hi everyone,
I am new to the world of endurance and am in the process of conditioning
my horse. At this point I don't even know if she has it in her to go the
distance.
I got myself a heart monitor and tried it out today. Her heart rate went
upto 214 and did not come down to 198 for about 10 minutes. I might be
exaggerating the time because it felt like a long time. She was huffing
and puffing after the 30 minute trotting climb. My question is how long
should it take for the heart rate to return to normal and what is normal
after a strenuous climb? I know it has to come down to about 60bpm before
they are allowed to go on.
Any help is appreciated.
Ps. Todays ride was only 12 miles.
Sheila