Fire Extinguishers--Cautionary Tale

Last month we had a brief discussion about how important it
was to have a fire extinguisher in one's rig.  I resolved to
get one before my trip to Tennessee, but forgot.

I shouldn't have.  Outside Pulaski, Virginia near I81 I set
my truck brakes on fire.  The trailer brakes had started
grabbing and I had slowly been adjusting the controller
to put more and more burden on the truck and less and
less on the trailer.  Well, unbeknownst to me, I had gotten
to where the entire burden for stopping the 7500 pound
trailer + horse was on my truck.  I started smelling
burning about halfway down a long, steep, twisty hill.  By
the time I stopped at the bottom of the hill on the outskirts
of Pulaski, there were great billows of smoke coming
out of my front tires.  I was completely helpless to do
*anything* except wonder whether I should get my
horse out before the whole thing blew up.  Luckily,
the fire subsided on its own in about 20 minutes.

Sigh...

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA