Re: RC: license for trailers

Hello Rae - based on my latest search, the issue is not the length it
is the TOTAL COMBINED WEIGHT of the truck and trailer

In Tenn the rules from Nashsville DOT and the Scales State Police -
the chicken coop  people, IF the WHOLE rig weighs over 26000 pnd you
need the CDL.
They let US ALL go since they do not have enough to get us

The NEXT issue is the TOWING weight the Truck can pull, AS in the F350
can pull a TOTAL combined weight of 17500.
IF you are over that , the truck may not stop, and may run out of
control. IF you get stopped, they FINE you  and shut you down.
You do not need a CDL for air-brakes - at least in TN

AS long as the TOTAL running weight loaded is UNDER 26000 pnds.

Trailer length with most horse trailers is under the 50 ft limit.

IN CAL I understand if the trailer has a Gross max weight rating of
over 15000 you need the CDL. Most dealers will NOT tell you that.
 But other states dont care as long as you dont weight over the total
 of 26000, that seems to be the magic number.

 You trailer MAY be rated to be loaded to 15200 ( the small 30 ftr
 have that tagged rating) but if the trailer does not weight that much its is over
 looked.
Most hwy cops will not give a private truck and horse trailer any
hassle, but they can.

These laws vary from state to state, and MOST will let you go.

In SOME states you MUST hit the scales with ANY truck and trailer.

The best fix for all this mess is the motorhome  pulling a trailer.

Seems the motorhome lobby gets us exempted from all those rules. Look
at the aged drives with BIG BIG BLuebirds.  LONG and over 26000 and
pulling the Caddie.  Air-brakes and all .. no rules no scales and a
car license will get you  in one.

SO now I am looking at a 3 horse van with LQ in the front, and small
enough that Carol can drive. Its an RV with   horses in the bedroom.
   That is what I have learned over that past 3 months  doing my new
   rig shopping..
   I am keeping the big truck motorhome for now
   Its for sale
 Roger R