From: guest@endurance.net
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 5:58 AM
Subject: RC: Strange symptoms...can anyone help

Sandra da Silva Sandras@acuity.co.za
My e -mail bounced although I'm registered, so i had to post this as a
guest..

My mare has a very erratic schedule for the last two months and half.
She was off for six weeks for African Horse Sickness, then back for two
weeks then off for another two weeks while I was on holiday. Even though
through AHS I trail rode her lightly and saw her everyday, and during her
two weeks back we
brought her back into medium work. Two days before I left for my holiday I
noticed that a patch of hair had fallen off on her back. No particular
shape, no scabs, the hair was just gone. Her skin looked very dry. I asked
that the yard owner apply Aquila(anti bacterial shampoo) and monitor it.
Well, I saw her for the first time again yesterday. The yard manager has
been applying Aquilla every second day,then switched to a skin anti
bacterial cream that the vet prescibed, and still no change...worse of all
there is is a similar patch on her hock.

To top it all my horse looks like she has aged 50 years in the two weeks.
Her coat condition seems to have deteriorated even though she now has
dapples (which I have heard ironically are a sign of health, don't know
how true this is).
I can't put my finger on it, she just doesn't look right. She is
still full of beans though, nearly stampeded me when she saw me with
carrots.

I give her garlic and SuperCodlivine in her food twice a day. I just don't
know where to start. Could it just be lack of exercise and stimulation? We
will start her again properly now on Saturday. Should I be looking at
adding something to her diet etc??? She is not that old,about 13 years is
what the dentist and vet gave her and she has always looked like a three
year old, so this is bugging me a bit.It's been suggested that I try some
blood work... what would we be looking for? Any other suggestions would be
most welcome
Regards
Sandra in Saouth Africa