Re: RC: "Natural" hoof hardeners

In a message dated 12/4/2001 10:54:19 PM Pacific Standard Time, maryann.spencer@us.army.mil writes:

1. TIME
2. Do NOT trim the sole of the hoof.
3. Keep from getting too dry or too wet.
4. Find some rocks, etc to place where the horse will have to walk over
them.  Keep horse in 'natural' surroundings, not stalled all the time.

#1 Time is a good one.  #2 I have to disagree with.  wouldn't you end up with a horse with no heel and long toe if you never trim the sole? (maybe I'm confused on that part).  #3 Hellllooooo (you should forgive the sarcasm)  its RAINING here the ground is MUDDY.  How do I keep the hooves from getting too wet?  #4  Well finally, I can DO this part.  We have nothing BUT rocks (well rocks and mud if its raining).  And as far as natural surroundings, yeah, we've got that.

Sylvia (just keeping it real here)