Asking too much

Isn't it fascinating how people point to a discipline and go "Eeeeuuuuwwww.....that's far too hard on the horse".  I personally know of a Grade A racehorse who has run over 100 races, is now rising 9 and is as sound as a bell!  I have known show ponies to break down at 8.

Does Goofy (Golden Loom - the first horse) give lie to the rumour that racing is hard on horses?  And what about the eventers I know who are still sound at 21?

Personally, I don't think it's the sport which is hard on horses, I think it's people.  They either take a horse into a discipline for which that horse is not suited (because of conformation problems, for instance) or they simply don't take care of the animal whilst it is competing.

Tracey