Slide In Campers

Jim Holland said:

>5.  I had to take the camper off every time I wanted to use the truck
>for hay, lumber, etc....then put it back on for the ride.....a pain and
>time consuming.
There is a kind of electric jack that retails for around $2000 that
makes getting the camper on and off much quicker and much
easier.  And it can be done by one person.  Instead of being a tripod,
it is like two rails/skis on either side of the camper.  It also acts as
its own camper tie-down.  I am told you do have to be careful because
some newer trucks are too wide to use with it, but it seems
to go a long way to answering this particular, critical shortcoming
of the slide-in camper configuration.  And all it costs is $2000 ;-)

You don't say whether your 250 is a heavy duty or not.  Older
slide-in campers can be quite heavy and the weight of the
camper plus the tongue weight of the 3 horse tag with dressing
room can exceed the truck's rear axle weight rating.  (Thing is,
many of the smaller, lighter 8 ft campers don't have any
bathroom/shower, which I consider to be the major difference
between roughing it and luxury, and the major point of
upgrading at all.)

I was told my '86 GMC 250 Heavy Duty could handle a 8 1/2 or
9ft camper plus 2-3 horse tag with dressing room, but just barely, and I'd
be well-advised to get a weight distributing hitch and air bags to make
the configuration stable and safe.

I'm weighing the same two options myself and have pretty much
decided that a small used LQ is going to be much preferable
to a used camper + tag, though probably around $6000 to $7000
more expensive.   But then, any size LQ pretty much requires
a heavy duty pick-up anyway.

Slide-in truck campers are also getting a little hard to find in
this part of the country.  Most manufacturers don't make them
anymore and a Lance costs a *bundle*!

Some of the trailer finance companies are offering 0% interest
3 year loans on new LQ trailers to people with good credit.  With
a brand new Sundowner Trail Blazer II going for around $29,000,
if you can put 10k or so down, the monthly payments don't look
that outrageous, and the resale value of the trailer will always
exceed what you owe on it.

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA