Re: RC: rudeness

In a message dated 11/27/2001 6:38:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, cfly@concentric.net writes:

I guess it depends on WHY you are doing these rides. ...
whether or not you feel compelled to be rude to volunteers .
Aren't we all out for having a good time?
What is the big deal?
Is there money to be gotten?
 I've never "top 10ed" and don't know  that addictive "rush"
..but I have a great time anyway

Hi Cliff!  I too am a devoted middle of the packer and don't feel the need to race.  I respect the people who do race though -- especially the ones who can race year after year on the same horse.  I think that's pretty cool.

I think the point that got lost in the original post about rude riders to a P&R (a misnomer in his day and age) worker is that the P&R worker was doing something that the riders were very unfamiliar with -- she was taking a respiration count along with the pulse and not giving them their time if the resp. was high even though the pulse was down.  I've NEVER been to a ride that did that.  I only have a little under 2,000 AERC miles, so not a huge sampling.  But still....NEVER has a P (correct term) worker EVER caused me to wait because my horse was panting a bit.  I can completely understand why riders would ask questions about that.  Also, having exchanged a private post with the original sender of this post, I can understand how she might have abraded a tired rider's nerves.  She basically told me that if my horse panted, he obviously wasn't suited for endurance riding (this is a horse with 6 Tevis completions, OT, Virginia City, blah blah as well as 5,000 combined AERC/NATRC miles).  I'd say the attitude of the P worker had something to do with the response she received.

Sylvia