Re: Breastcollar Lights (Was: Needing expertise from 100 milers)

> Do these breastcollar lights work similarly to taping glowsticks to
> your
> breastcollar?  Work better than a headlamp?

MUCH brighter.  You could probably get a light just like it at Home
Depot...just get about a 6-8" flourescent light that's battery operated
that's made to mount under a counter.  Runningbear adds strong velcro to
the light so you can velcro it onto your breast collar.  I've bought
cheap round battery operated lights that just lasted a little while in
the trailer and blew a bulb, but the ones I got from Teddy have lasted a
long time.

The light thrown is MUCH brighter than a glow stick.  It throws a pool of
light about 5 feet in a half moon shape around the front of the horse.  I
say it's 100% better than a head lamp which bobs, slips, and throws a
shadow from the horse's head right where his feet go. The negative side
of it is that it lets everyone know where you are.  If you're worried
about placement you may not like the fact that it lets people behind you
know you're up there and they'll try to catch you.  On the positive side,
if you've got the horse for it you can go faster with it.  Just a note.
NEVER reach down and turn it off while your horse is trotting. I got a
broken finger learning that one.  Kaboot just saw a black hole open up
right in front of him where the light had been and did a monumental
change of direction.

If I were you and had time to experiment I'd go to Home Depot and buy one
of their lights.

Angie