Re: any ride or rider

Good for your daughter. She thought of her horse first. She also probably has that horse sense so many others are lacking. Or maybe it is common sense some people don't have.

I really can't believe either that people can be so ig'nert to not notice a head bob,saddle sore/sore back, a bit that is way to big or little. They do notice, but it doesn't dawn on them to do anything about it. Some people just don't see horses as a pet, or partner or companion. It is something they own and can do with what they want. I have noticed (just observation, no scientific proof) that these same people have problems dealing with other people as well. They don't know how to communicate or listen. Some of us talk more than we listen (who me??) but there are so many other ways to educate ourselves. Books, videos, clinics all are ways horse people can learn. And some do, but still can't apply it to their horsemanship practices or even in their own relationships. You have seen it. You know what I am talking about.

I had a girl bring a horse to the Odd Farm. There was nothing wrong with this horse. I would ride her (I am no trainer, don't show, only ride) and she was fine. The girl would get on and it was a disaster waiting to happen. The girl took lessons, read books and magazines and understood most of what she learned. She just couldn't apply it when it came to spend time with her horse. I can't explain it, couldn't comprehend it. You either have it or you don't.

I look at it this way. I can drive. I can hook up a trailer, haul with a slide-in camper and travel where ever I want to . I have never had an accident. But, I don't have a clue about mechanics. I put diesel in, the truck goes. I don't always hear or feel the little nuances that John does who is also a darn good driver and he knows about cars and trucks. That doesn't mean I am ig'nert to the ways of locomotion. I know how to get my truck to the shop. I don't want to know how to fix it. But cars and trucks are not my passion. I don't think about my truck day and night. It is a way for me and the kids and the horses to get from point A to point B. I think that is how some (lots) people feel about their horses. They have a horse, they want to compete and that is all they know. That is all they want to know.

We can try to get more education out to the riders, but that is all we can do. We can't make them feel that passion for the sport, the compassion for the horses,or give them the common sense to know what is best for the horse.

Nobody raises thier kids or treats thier animals the way WE think they should. We can all try a little harder. That is all we can do.

Damn, that was too serious.

"Hurt me baby, make me write bad checks" came from a radio show, The Q morning Zoo. You know, how much punishment can you take? You got kids, you got horses? You can take what ever is dished out. Lisa Salas The Odd Farm