Re: RC: Re: Moral Dilemma / Trainers

What I did with my young horse was start her myself.  She never bucked when I
started her, and would do many of the things I wanted her to, but she
definitely had a mind of her own.  I started taking Dressage lessons on her
from my instructor, Nancy, as soon as I could consistently ride her for about
45 minutes (the length of the lesson)  She probably had 30-45 rides on her at
that point, and was VERY green.  Much greener than I thought she was.  The
first few lessons were quite "Interesting".  There was the one where she RAN
backwards across the arena because she didn't want to go by something.  The
next time she started bucking and I went off, and miraculously did one of
those once in a lifetime land on your feet things--still holding on to the
reins.  Looked really impressive from the ground I guess.  Everybody stopped
to watch.

My mare was about 3 1/2 when this all took place, and my instructor worked us
through all manner of spooks and just plain "YOU-can't-MAKE-me's".  I have
continued to take lessons from the same instructor for the last 4 years off
and on when I have time.  Nancy is really good, and she is very much
responsible for me having a pretty well broke horse (most of the time).  Not
every one has access to an instructor who will work with a green horse and/or
green rider without getting that "let me get on and show you how it's done"
attitude, which I don't really go for.  No one has ever been one my mare with
one exception.  Nancy got on one day because she wanted to sit in my saddle.
She rode for about 2 minutes at a walk and trot, and I had to really
encourage her to do more than just get on and right off.  It was the first
time I had ever seen my mare being ridden.

There are trainers out there who will work with you and your horse, you just
have to look.  But many people don't have the confidence it takes to get on a
green or unbroke or spoiled horse, even with a trainer there to help.  Those
people wouldn't be safe on such a horse, they know it and the horse probably
knows it.  They have to send the horse to someone else.  IMO, you have to
show up at the trainer's facility unexpected, both before and after you put
your horse there.  You can't just leave your horse off somewhere and go back
at the end of 30 or 60 days and hope for the best.

Whenever someone has done something to one of my horses that I consider
abusive or out of line, I will tell anyone who is inquiring about similar
services.  I wouldn't want someone and their horse to go through a bad
experience because I kept my mouth shut. I've had bad experiences with a
farrier who drugged my horse without my permission or knowledge, a stable
owner who treated my horses roughly, and another stable owner that didn't
take care of the boarded horses to the standard she claimed.  I would only
speak of things I knew of my own personal experience, not things someone told
me.  Just my 2cents worth.

jeri