Re: RC: GPS use/Sport

In a message dated 11/16/01 3:18:38 PM Mountain Standard Time, sunsetrim@hotmail.com writes:

I see the GPS markings as the ultimate
solution.  I can remember when we all rode 100 milers without  glo sticks.
Now riders whine if you don't have 300 glo sticks out on 25 miles of trail.

    I, too, can remember riding 100's without glow sticks, but the trails were still marked...ribbons, pie plates, white lime on the ground, etc.
    GPS use is probably okay...I helped the Duck mark  trail through western Nebraska...mainly straight lines, county roads with road signs, sections lines, power lines, highways...
    "Orienteering" it was not...
     We don't really need "300 glo sticks out on 25 miles of trail"....but, a trail marked as to be seen from a horse traveling at night doesn't seem to be a lot to expect.
    And, in my opinion, riding a horse, on a trail marked appropriately is sufficient for this sport....hell, it's "part" of the sport.
     Frank.