MEASURING with GPS

I'll admit the newer GPS units do make really nifty maps. And I can see the
value of marking a few waypoints for gadget gurus on rides. I agree strongly
with KAT's points about the danger of riding with your eyes on a
gadget--it's enough of a problem for me I don't even use an on board heart
monitor anymore--too distracting.
What I find really scary is ride managers using GPS for trail measurement.
These trails end up incredibly wrong, typically too LONG. Our trails are
wooded, in hills, but most important twist & turn back on themselves a lot.
We're putting trails in land areas of 2000-3000 acres, where the trails are
just a few feet apart. According to the GPS you know where you are, but
distance wise you haven't gone anywhere!
We got a unit given to us (magellen 300) that is worthless for
marking/measuring. (Impractical to manually poke in every change of
direction, & only has 10 legs in a route) The camp where my ride will be has
people come in with better ones all the time. The trail boss was riding with
the guy that writes trail articles for Trail Rider magazine, and his alarm
(that indicates < 3 satellites) was always going off. Still made a nifty
map, but the accumulated mileage was way off. It is very entertaining to get
2 different GPS's riding together & have them come up with different
mileage.
Truman, get busy with those articles!!!
This past summer a man making maps (ex military, now civilian
mapmaker)stopped at our place & asked to use our corner post as one of his
points. It was very interesting to see his set up & we had him explain how
it worked in great detail. Especially interesting was the scattered dot
pattern on the stationary unit, and the computer program he would have to
run it through to come up with an exact "spot". He also mentioned that the
exact data changes over time. All data must be collected from an area within
a certain time period. (So collecting data from part of you trail one
weekend might not be compatable with what you'd get a month later.) We asked
him about accurately measuring trails through the woods & hills and he just
shook his head & laughed.

Nancy Mitts