Re: marking with GPS

Truman wrote:
A GPS receiver doesn't work unless three spacecraft are viable.  The down link frequency of GPS is 1024 megahertz. This frequency does not penetrate foliage, hence the signal will not be received. Secondly with only 24 active space craft on orbit, you will not see three in normal mountain terrain. The big problem is with the cheap hand held units you get form REI, etc., you won't know you are screwed up.  Hence it is not a viable means for measuring an and marking a trail.

    I doubt ride managers are going to go hog wild with GPS, they need entries and a GPS only ride would scare some people away. But I do want to mention that the experts that are saying GPS won't work for endurance rides haven't ridden or marked an endurance ride with a modern GPS unit. I think Truman is out of date on how many satelites are within view. I know my unit picks up 8 all the time. At least 4 or 5 in tough canyons with trees. So although this is not an important point to us endurance riders right now, I think I would tend to put some weight in the 60 people who rode across the country using GPS'es, and then did Grand Canyon, EHSC, Bryce etc with GPS units in hand. Nothing is perfect, but the 2 main voices saying GPS won't work didn't go across the country with us. And yes Grand Canyon had lots of trees, very thick at times up on the Kaibab Palteau, but my GPS did just fine there.    But it is human nature to resist change. Thats why we all ride horses instead of ATV's for 50 miles ;^}

Jim