Mares Idiosycratic Behavior/Riding Mares

I'll kill two birds with one stone.  I have a mare and three geldings.  The
geldings are OK, but I love my mare. She was the most awesome horse to trail
ride on, never got to do any distance riding as she was in her late teens
when I got her and she is retired now in her late 20's.  Once she got that
she had to watch where she was going instead of everywhere else (at the
beginning she would be looking in the air, into the woods, behind her), she
was incredible.  Yes, she and I would have arguments - did I really want her
to do something.  And when I told her, YES! she did it.  I used to ride with
a friend who used to do terrible things (like jumping a log and then bolting
and disappearing down the trail).  I ended up loosing my balance and hanging
on to my mares neck, upside down about 6" off the ground.  When my mare came
to a stop, I had been dropped onto the ground underneath her.  She stepped
over me and stopped.  I was on the ground under her and she just stood
there.  We also, unwittingly, stepped onto a sheet of ice and the two of us
fell down. I managed to get my leg out of the way in time.  She got to her
feet as I was laying on the ice and she just stood there until I got to my
feet and led her off.

This horse would go on 2' wide trails on the side of hills and not miss a
step.  We could gallop along under low hanging branches and I would duck out
of the way and she wouldn't miss a step.  She was great with ATV, dirt
bikes, mountain bikes, people, cars, and dogs.  If a dog got agressive, we
would go after it. She loved chasing the dogs.  I wanted another mare to
replace her when I retired her, and I just couldn't find one.  I really love
that she had opinions and would share them with me.  Sometimes she'd win,
sometime not.

This same mare, like another Ridecampers horse, loves to have her teats
rubbed.  She wants all of the days grime removed and she has been known, not
only to spread her legs to give you easier access, but to lift her leg out
of the way.  She also has pinned me against the wall of the stall using me
as a scratching post for her bum.

I love this gal and wish I could still ride her.

Carolyn Burgess