Old Dog Vestibular Sydrome

Margie:

I'm sending this to Ridecamp as well, since this is a subject that other
people will be dealing with.  I lost my dog in 1999 to Vestibular Sydrome.
There are two causes of Vestibular Syndrome, one benign, one terminal and
they are not related in any way other than the outward symptoms.  One is
caused by an inner ear problem, which is not the version my dog had.  The
other is a tumor in or around the brain stem (which is what my dog had).  It
started with her at around 13 years old, all of a sudden having difficulty
standing, and her head was tilted to the side.  She also was drooling
heavily.  The vet knew what it was immediately, but at the time lead me to
believe that it was easily treatable and she would resolve back to normal.
He said it could resolve on its own (the inner ear cause), or that a shot of
cortisone would resolve it (which it did - and if it does, then you have the
tumor).  At that time, she got to shots of cortisone, and she resolved in
about 3 days and was back to about 90% of previous normal in about 2 weeks.
She always had mobility issues from a fractured pelvis at the age of 4
months.  So it was hard to tell what was residual from the broken hip 13
years later, or from the residual of Vestibular Syndrome.

She was fine for over a year and then almost a year later, she had another
"attack".  This time it was much more severe and the 1st shot of cortisone
did not work.  We brought her back to the vet 48 hours later, they gave her
another really big shot of cortisone, which 24 hours later started to work.
At that point, the vet told me about the two causes of Vestibular Syndrome
and that my dog probably had a tumor.  I have always given all of my animals
everything that I would I would do medically for any other member of my
family, so I wanted the tumor removed.  I didn't care about cost.  I was
told that these tumors are usually benign, but the are not operable because
of there location.  Surgery would kill my dog.  But the good news is that
cortisone is a good way to treat it.  The cortisone will shrink the tumor so
that they can get reasonably back to normal.  My dog lost alot of weight
before the attack, which was also caused by the tumor, but that the
cortisone would increase her appetite and help her to gain weight.  This
second attack happened in early Fall of 1998.  She was on daily cortisone
pills for the remainder of her life, which ended in February 1999.  The good
thing about the cortisone is that it should get them almost back to normal.
But when it stops working, the tumor will become debilitating almost
immediately.  In our case, the dog collapsed on a Saturday night and was
never able to get up again.  She was fully conscious and cognative, but just
could not stand or walk.

I wish I could give you good news about this, but in my case, I got a good 8
months more with my dog, maybe even more like 1 1/2 years, because of the
cortisone, than I would have otherwise have had.  I am very happy for that
time.

Carolyn Burgess