Re: riding mares

Dear Genie, when I read your post about mares I really chuckled. I began
riding Arabs about eight years ago because my other horse friends began
refusing to ride with me and this lady with Arabs was the only one who
would go far enough and fast enough to satisfy me. So I began riding
what I thought were Airheads and wimps...and fell in love. Oh, I still
love my Thoroughbred and I admire a good chunky Quarterhorse, but
nothing warms me like an Arab - the depth of their endurance, joy and
brains is remarkable.
And then I moved to Oregon and my friend shipped me two MARES to break
and ride. Humph. I thought I hated mares. They were moody. They were
aloof. They were.... And then I fell in love all over again. These two
mares are either the most unusual horses ever born (and that could well
be) or mares are warm, thinking, eager to roll down the trail as soon as
they figure things out (and they do that quickly), and just so tough
without any attitude.
I am now pretty convinced that I know less all the time, so I just hug
'em, feed 'em and keep my opinions flexible.  Terry C