Re: Osage Orange Tree/Hedge Apples

If you do end up cutting your Osage Orange trees, try to save the bigger
trunks and branches of wood and store it somewhere away from the horses to
dry;  it's damned valuable to bowmakers and natural dyers.

I use it for both (don't try to sell it to me, I have a huge supply already
stashed) and have always been impressed with it as a bowwood and a dyestuff;
as a dyestuff, the chipped wood doesn't require a mordant to be colorfast,
which I believe means that it has a high acid content.

But this is the wood and not the 'apples'.  This is the first time I've
heard of any part of an osage orange tree being a danger to livestock.

I don't have any of it in my pastures, and don't know any neighbors with
your problem, the trees being too scarce in this area to allow much
consumption.