Re: Panic Attack/Saddling Problems

Title: Re: Panic Attack/Saddling Problems
From: Jennifer Thompson <jlthompson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 20:15:48 -0800
To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC:  Re: Panic Attack/Saddling Problems

I've been reading the posts regarding cinchiness and such, and it made
me decide to ask for some advice on the following problem:

My 10 year old mare, Mahriah, is giving me problems when saddling her.
She has always been the fidgety type (dances around when being
fly-sprayed, and will move back and forth some when trying to pick up
her feet - but this will only last a few seconds and then she stands
still).  But with saddling, she is terrible, and it's getting worse.
Even putting just the pad on her back is getting to be a challenge
(especially if it is white - anything white seems to scare her).  The
minute I start to raise either pad or saddle to set it on her back, she
    jumps to the side and tries to avoid it.

Sounds to me like she needs to be properly sacked out.

Get a towel (better yet a cheap navaho-type blanket), your horse, a small pen, a lead rope and halter and start introducing her to her new best friend, the Blankie.

Hold the lead line in one hand and the Blankie in the other. Attempt to gently touch her with the blanket.   Allow her to circle all she wants, but don't let her get away.   Use soothing language and praise her enthusiastically when she allows the touch.

Work until you can rub her all over with the Blankie.  Go slow and try not to overwhelm her.  Always end on a success even if you have to back up to a previous happy spot.  Be sure to rub her favorite places with the Blankie.  Talk and talk and talk the whole time.  Make silly noises, project happy thoughts.

When she stands quietly and allows this, you've won round one.

Then start all over by flapping the Blankie.  Hold onto that lead rope!

Eventually you should be able to flap the Blankie up to her, flap it onto her back, flap it while it's on her back and then allow it to fall off without her wigging (I flap the blanket on, and lunge in a circle until the blanket falls off and praise like mad everytime the horse turns calmly to look at the fallen Blankie).  Praise enthusiastically every time she allows you to do anything she previously wouldn't.  I also use treats for the really big steps taken.

Once your horse is totally used to the first Blankie, switch over to whatever you use for a saddle pad and start all over.  Hopefully, it will be much quicker the second time round, but don't rush the horse and don't lose your temper.  Happy words!!

This is painstaking work that can be dangerous at times.  It pays off big.

I have one horse with trust issues I have to sack out every time I get a new saddle blanket/pad.   It gets easier each pad, and I'm hoping one day, he'll just need to sniff his new Blankie and we can get on with business, but for now as long as we have a working arrangement I'm happy.