Re: Tent Camping

Donna Dochterman dokadaarabians@earthlink.net
I did the tent camping with the horses one time.  Decided there had to be
a better way.  I invested $300 in an old beat up truck camper.  Maybe it
wasn't the luxury living quarters in a gooseneck trailer but it worked
great for several years and didn't cost much more than the tent had, and
did not interfere with my stock trailer.  Even after it sprung a couple
small leaks, it was still luxury compared to the tent.  I did not have to
set it up and take it down every time I moved camp--nothing like moving a
soggy tent and trying to get it dried out in the new camp in time to sleep
in it--esp. if it is still raining.  No packing and unpacking stuff.  I
had a stovetop to cook gourmet meals (ok, heat water and canned food).
The icebox made a great medicine cabinet (an ice chest was a much better
choice for food).  It even had a heater that would cook you in the coldest
weather--run it for a short time to warm the place up on a cold evening or
morning though and it was heaven.  Eventually it started leaking badly
enough that I replaced it with a "new" old camper that did not leak.
Spent $600 for that one but it had everything the old camper had plus an
oven (more storage?) and a REFRIGERATOR!  Now THAT is a wonderful
invention!  No more buying ice!

Two years ago I got a new trailer and must admit I did drool over the
goosenecks with living quarters but the price was not the only reason I
decided to stick with a bumper hitch and truck camper.  I haul the trailer
to local fun shows for the kids, parks for day rides, taking the calves to
market, help my friends move......  For all those trips, I do NOT have to
take along a house!  The bad news--the new trailer's square nose could not
accommodate the old 9.5 foot truck camper on sharp turns like the old
round nosed trailer could. :o(  Hubby bought me a much newer, improved,
8.5 foot camper to replace the old camper.  Amazing how much difference
one foot makes in a camper.  I am adjusting to the change though--the new
trailer is
worth it.  Never even considered returning to a tent....

Donna Dochterman
Dokada Arabians
http://members.tripod.com/~DokadaArabians/index.html