RE: Panic Attack - Long

Sallie,
I've got a mare that is cinchy - she will completely flip out while tied to
the trailer if I go too fast.  She's always fine by the time I get on, so I
haven't had your experience - scary!  I hope you're alright.

I would be surprised if she behaved like that because of rough ground.  Have
you had other experiences that lead you to believe that she doesn't like
being girthed up?  Does she swish her tail, blow up, etc?

I would first get a chiropractor to look at her - she's definitely telling
you something and it might be more than cinchiness.

But, just in case that's what it is, here is my regime:

First, definitely get a girth with some elastic on the buckles - I think
that's a good thing even if this isn't the problem.  Then, I just buckle to
touching her belly and go back to some other preparation like attaching the
breast collar.  Then tighten another notch.  I always put my hand behind the
girth so I don't tug on any hairs or push the bulk of the girth into
wrinkling her skin.  Then do something else like load up water bottles or
other gear.

Then back to the girth and tighten another hole.  At this point you are
getting kind of tight.  So at this point I pick up each front foot and pull
it forward to make sure there is no skin bunched under the girth - it's a
good stretch too.

Then I put on the bridle and untie her and then do the next hole.  I might
do another stretch or just walk her around.  I like to keep my girth fairly
loose if I'm not doing a pretty technical ride - I've gotten back and found
I could put my fist between the horse and the girth and never felt like the
saddle was slipping.  I worry more about front to back than side to side.
But my HRM monitor doesn't work too well that way.

I try to only tighten to the point that I can still get on safely and no
more.  You can always tighten a bit more after you get going.  My mare has
never had a problem with me tightening the girth once I'm riding - but do
this carefully if you haven't done this in the past if she has issues here.

This is the main reason that I convert every saddle I buy to English billets
from a western cinch.  Even my husband has been converted on that one!

Good luck and be careful - just take everything in slow steps.  Another
thing you can try before you get on the next time is a little longing.
Nothing major - just do some practicing for a vet check - you can work on
trotting in hand and clean longing circles at the same time as doing a bit
of a sanity check.

Marlene