RE: Little S

Title: RE: Little S

I ride in the S-hack for conditioning rides sometimes, but never in a race situation.  While training, I have his total attention and he respects the rawhide and doesn’t lean into it.  He actually goes pretty nicely in it.  Total fingertip control under those circumstances, either direct rein or neck rein.  I have yet to use it a ride because I think he would lean against it and rub his nose raw because he does get racy.  I don’t think he’d respect the noseband if I put fleece on it.   I use a french-link bit under race situations and it doesn’t really intefere that much with drinking and it definitely doesn’t stop him from eating, but I could remove the bit because it’s on bit hangers to let him eat at the vet checks. (But sometimes I forget to take it off at the shorter vet checks and he still eats well.)

I used the fleece with the S hack on my mare.  She just leaned against it and actually her nose would stick up higher in the air than if I had her on the bit.  I never tried it without the fleece but I’m not riding her anymore.

K.