Sponsoring Juniors

Angie McGhee Rides2far@juno.com
Since I have all this stuff fresh on my mind, I'm gonna comment on this.
Sponsoring juniors can be great...but there's a few things you need to
consider.

First, when you agree to ride with another adult, then get out on the
trail and find out your horses just can't seem to pace together you can
seperate.  Not with a junior.  The chances that 4 horses will match very
well are not great so I wouldn't be thrilled about sponsoring 3 juniors
from the start.  It worries me that if just one horse is slower he'll
probably overdo trying to keep up with the others and the kid doesn't want
to drag the others down.  If you as a sponsor have a faster horse it makes
it too tempting to just expect them to keep up.  However, if the horses
are near each other at the first vet check chances are they'll travel well
together.  That's why I didn't mind picking up additional juniors at the
first vet check as much as making a deal before the ride.

There are minuses to having 4 horses who cannot seperate on the trail.
That's a big group to get watered when the water holes are small and the
trail is one lane. We lost time every time there was water simply taking
turns making sure everyone got a chance to drink.  4 horses in a group can
be bad if the bees are bad. The last one in a group that size is gonna get
hit.  When you cross tricky footing that you need to walk over...a large
group means the leader has to wait until the fourth horse gets past it
before picking up the trot again.  With lots of tricky footing like at the
NC that adds up.

What if one horse goes lame?  The sponsor can be in a fix.  I've read the
rules more than once on whether the sponsor has to pull if the junior
switches sponsors on trail, etc. but I still can't say I'm sure what my
options are once I'm out there. For your peace of mind, memorize the rules
on juniors before the ride.

What if you've got 2 juniors who are doing a great job, and one is really
getting tired and lagging...costing you all time at the waterholes...then
the lagger shows "body language" signs of planning to go for the win at
the finish...should you have an agreement that the sponsor will dictate
the finish?  If so, before the ride is a good time to discuss it.

Having one good junior for a partner can actually speed you up. If you've
got two horses who travel well together it gives you an automatic partner
who is helping optimize your strategy.  Any extras probably slow you
somewhat...but not always.  As a mom who has had to ask people to sponsor
my child at two rides this year I am happy to return the favor for others
when they're in a tight, but I'm not sure that I'm their best choice.
Breaking them up might be best for their horses and their placements.

Angie