From: <AJANDCRYSTA@aol.com>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 4:38 PM
Subject: RC: Looking for Vets Opinions (long)

> I'm in need of some advice and opinions of the different vets on the
list....

> On Tuesday, August 21st my 10 yr. old mare underwent a Street Nail
Procedure to have a 16-penny framing nail removed from the bottom of her
hoof.  The nail went in at about the middle of the frog, both height and
width.  It was at least 2" deep according to the X-rays, which we took
before the nail was extracted (of course).  The nail did penetrate the
bursa, but the bone itself look "very good" according to the vet that
performed the operation.  She (my horse) was in the hospital for a week on
IV antibiotics, received 10 days of SMZs when she got home, and I have been
changing the dressing daily on the wound.  She has a "full-plate" or
medicine plate shoe on right now.  The frog has just about healed itself
back to normal, back to the level of the sole and starting to "bud-up" again
like normal.  It is still "open" looking (fleshy) and still draining about a
teaspoon or so a day.

> My question is how long should I expect until she will be normal again?  I
understand that the chances of full recovery without lameness are pretty
slim, but was wondering when I can tell if she beat the odds?  She is hardly
limping at a walk now, although she still bobs her head quite a bit at the
trot and doesn't put full weight on that leg anymore, even when standing.
Should I start trotting her more to improve her flexion and weight-bearing?
All of this is being done by hand, I'm NOT riding her yet.  I've been doing
stretches with her daily as well... any other recommendations to promote
healing?  I don't want to push her too hard and want the flexor tendon
(which had a hole cut in it during surgery) to heal properly.  How long
should I wait before I start asking her to do more strenuous exercise?

> I'll leave off here so this post doesn't get too long... please email me
for any additional information.