West Region Director Nomination letter

The following is a letter I am posting for my riding partner, Jan Jeffers.

I have ridden many many miles with Jan and she is actually one of the 2 or 3 people in the world I would let ride my horses at a ride.  She rode my horse all five days of the Ft. Schellbourne ride and took home overall BC.  She has lots of experience in all types of trail riding organizations.

The mistakes in the spacing of the letter are mine because I am so hopeless at cutting and pasting........

She is an excellent choice for west region director and I hope you will vote for her.

Maryben Stover
West Region Director
..

Ihave been involved in distance riding since 1972 as a rider, volunteer and trails advocate. In my distance riding career, I have completed five TevisCups,  the 2001 Ft. Schellbournemulti-day ride, many regular endurance rides, and several limited distancerides.  I have had horses all my lifeand been involved in training, showing, three-day eventing, CTR, trail trialsand pleasure riding. I am also an equestrian park patrol volunteer for Countyand State.  My experience as a member ofthe Board of Directors for a distance riding organization for eight years,chairing such committees as publicity, newsletter advisory, management,judging, and corporate sponsorships has given me insight in setting andachieving goals that are in the best interests of the membership.   Someof the issues I would be involved in as a regional board member for the AERCare: Education– This subject has been discussed a lot recently on various Internetlists.  I believe that an educationalprogram can be developed for new people coming into the sport that will givethe new member first-hand knowledge of what our sport is about, how to care fortheir horse during a ride, how to prepare them for regular endurance, and whatour basic principle “To Finish is to Win” means.  I envision a program that would encompass hands-on seminars puton at the national as well as the regional level and clinics at various rides. LD– Limited Distance is a growing part of some of our members’ goals.  People ride LD for a variety of reasons;from bringing along a new horse to they enjoy seeing new trails and spendingtime with family and friends to preparing themselves and their horses forregular endurance rides.  I will supportthe work in progress in making LD a rewarding experience for this part of ourmembership. Trails– Without trails - none of the distance riders would have a place to ride.  We are all very fortunate to have ridemanagers putting on rides that are on private land; however, that is becoming aluxury in most areas.  A good number ofrides in the West Region are staged in regional, state or national parks.  I will take part in our AERC trailspreservation efforts and develop a network of members in all regions to takepart in local trail days. International– International competition and FEI are issues that are also important to partof our membership.  While I am not anexpert on this – I would learn more about it on the Board and from ourmembers.  I do feel that the AERC has tobe a part of determining the direction it takes worldwide. Enduranceriding is a great sport, and I feel it is time to give back something to anactivity that has given me great pleasure over the years.  I will be an active representative of theWest region membership and use my many years of experience to keep us all awarethat the welfare of our equine partners and the principle of “To Finish is toWin” are our first goals.  Feelfree to contact me regarding my views on the issues that are facing the AERC atthis time.

I can be reached at 408-779-4722 or at sleeeker@garlic.com.

Sincerely,  JanJeffers