Electrolytes 1 rat study

Blue had significant endurance experience when I bought him
from Jackie Bumgardner.  He and I started with a 25 and we
rode with friends.  I did my duty and electrolyted him using
Enduralytes.  After I electrolyted him, his recoveries got
worse and he didn't seem as happy.  He ate, but I didn't think
he ate or drank as well as I expected him to.

SO, I decided that Blue was one of those horses that couldn't
use electrolytes!

I couldn't have been more wrong.  More like, he didn't need them
on the slow 25.

We did Jackie's EHSC 50 several weeks later.  I did not electrolyte
him.  He did fine, but he was tired, took 10 minutes to recover at
the last check and the only reason we weren't last was we passed
2 or 3 horses walking in the last few miles.  Blue ate and drank
really well the whole trip.

The next ride we did with our very experienced friend and her 100
mile horse.  We started together and were running in the front half
of the pack on a 50.  Blue took 1 minute more to recover at the
first check and I elected to slow down.  She shoved a 3 dose syringe
of Lyte-Now's at me and said "Quit saying Blue doesn't need electrolytes,
he does.  USE THEM!"  So I did.  We finished behind her but strong.  Blue
perked up and bounced through the ride.  We had to buy a new saddle
after that ride, but that wasn't related to the electrolytes.  ;-)

I can sure tell that electrolytes make a big difference in the way Blue
goes all day.  I learned to mix my own with baby food carrots.  He likes
those a lot better, but I still carry Lyte-Now's on the trail as they don't
spill or make a mess.  We are finishers and I don't "electrolyte" at
every given moment.  I electrolyte when I think it will help my horse.
He gets a home made syringe the night before, another the morning
of, and then he gets 1 dose of Lyte-Nows on the trail at an away check,
or water stop.  He gets babyfood electrolytes at lunch and other crew-bag
stops, and another one after the ride.

I mix 4 or 5 small jars of carrot baby food with powdered electrolytes in
a large ziplock bag at home.  I squish it around until they are all mixed,
then I cut a corner off and fill each 60cc syringe.  I cap the syringes with
1/2 of a wine cork with a small pilot hole dimpled in one end.  These go into
the fridge a couple days before the ride.

For those of you who are just starting out using electrolytes, you don't
have to give these like the front runners.  Start by watching your horse.
You don't want to upset your horse's eating habits.  You CAN start by
giving 1oz of electrolytes per syringe instead of 2.  If you don't see a
good result with what you do on 25 miles, don't rule electrolytes out for
the longer distances.  If you are worried about upsetting your horse's
stomach, try mixing them with Malox liquid.  You may also want to take
a water bottle and rinse your horse's mouth after you give the e-lytes.

The most I have ever electrolyted is the Castle Rock challange ride we
did last year.  Castle Rock is (was) a known difficult 50 with lots of hills.
That year it was hot and humid which is unusual for the California coast.
I did electrolyte religiously every 2 hours, and every check and water
stop that day.  I can still see the glare in Blue's eyes when I gave him his
electrolytes after he'd pigged out at lunch.  He quit eating, pursed his
lips, tipped his ears and he just oozed his displeasure at me!  However,
we finished well and he was a tired, but happy horse.

I hope this helps some of the newer riders who are learning about using
electrolytes.  The only way you are really going to know is to start slowly
and read your horse.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM