From: "Kristene Smuts" <Ksmuts@sarcc.co.za>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:09 AM
Subject: RC: Measuring body fat in horses

> Hi guys
>
> Another strange question.  When measuring the body fat in people, a
pincer-like instrument is used and some flesh on your belly or thereabouts
is pinched and the measurement taken - that then equates to your body fat.

> Now, is there any way one can measure horses for body fat?  I know a
practiced eye can quickly spot fat vs muscle, but if one wants to measure
the actual fat percentage in the body, how would you go about it?  And if
so, what would the optimal measurements be for endurance horses?