Re: RC: RO

--- CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:
> I still don't see any reason to separate L and M
> based on who made the decision.

Ahhh...but herein lies the basis of my question.
There are rules stating that a horse not fit to
continue based upon certain criteria MAY NOT CONTINUE.
 If my horse is 3-legged lame, I don't need a vet to
tell me I can't go on.  However, the reason for the
pull is L...NOT RO.  On the other hand, if I feel a
little something off with my horse but the best vet
eye can't see it yet but I pull anyway, here is the
part where the vet can report more accurately what was
going on.  The vet can report on the survey sheet that
the rider felt the horse was becoming lame although
there was no observable signs of lameness.

>Even if the rider
> makes the call and is sometimes not accurate as to
> exactly WHAT is going on, likely the stats would
> still be far more accurate than they currently are,
> where far too many L and M pulls are listed as RO
> simply because it was the rider who made the
> decision.

This is an education issue that needs to be covered
with ride vets *before* the ride.  If a horse meets
the criteria that it is to be pulled, it is pulled
with either a L or M code.  Like you said, the horse
is in trouble and it doesn't matter who makes the
decision to pull.

> And yes,
> I've turned around out on the trail after leaving a
> check and have come back to camp and pulled my
> horse, even though the vet sent us out and deemed
> the horse to be just fine--but those are NOT RO
> pulls--in each case, there was either an offness or
> a sluggishness that was not right, and they should
> be coded accordingly.

Here! Here!  We are saying the same thing.  I think
the vets need to be educated as to accurately
recording reasons for pulling.

=====
Susan Young Casey
Glenndale Grace Farm
Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)