Re: RC: Spooking - Spook and Spin

Looks like we are both in the same boat. I am fairly green. I just got back
into horses a couple years ago after not having any for 20 years. Also my
guy will be cantering along the trail and spook at his own shadow.

I sent him off to some really top notch trainers and as far as the spooking
goes, I wasted my $$. The only thing that has helped is for me to be a
better rider (with a helmet and crash vest). :)

Keeping my head up and looking "with soft eyes" as S. Swift says.
Feeling the spook coming on.
Being better balanced.
The helmet and crash vest keeps my confidence up and my pulse down so my
fearfulness does not get translated to him.
Working with him myself has built a better relationship.
Getting him out on the trail with horses that are steadier.
Letting the steadier horses be ahead of him on the trail. They didn't spook
he probably won't either.

I think your friends advice was best. The trainers I went to helped my horse
with carriage, balance, and pace, but it was all areana work, so not very
applicable.

Lisa LeChatton
Garland, Tx