Re: clinic for beginning distance riders

  This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!  I would like
to hear about ALL types of distance riding: ride-and-ties, CTR,
endurance etc, and the different organizatons that sponsor
rides.  I think there would be a huge interest for such a
clinic in the DC/VA/MD area.  There are sooo many horsey-types
here.  I hav been toying with the idea of trying to get a group
together to go on weekly training rides in Great Falls (where I
live) just so my horse & I can get used to riding in a crowd.

  I'd also like to learn the basics needed to train for a ride -
 how to read pulse and respiration, evaluate fitness, use of
HRM, electrolytes, adjusting feed as the horse becomes more
fit, etc.

  It would be great if the clinic could include a 'mini ride'
so people could experience the vet-check process and the
general ride experience, if not the mileage.

  It would also be great to have an opportunity to see (and
maybe even try?) all the equipment one reads about on Ridecamp:
HRMs, tack, tie-out systems, portable corrals etc.  I don't
know if manufacturers could be induced to attend, or if riders
could just bring their gear and 'show and tell'.

I would love to help organize this: just let me know what you
want done: I can do mailings, publicity, etc.  I am an
experienced adult rider but new to endurance (other than going
on a couple of training rides with Sherri Devoursoux and
reading ride-camp!)  I'd be happy to send out emails to guage
interest in the area if that would help, but I am pretty sure
there would be many interested people.

Have you thought of a location yet?  Frying Pan Park (Fairfax
Co. Parks: http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/parks/fryingpanpark.htm)
in Herndon VA has a very nice set-up: indoor and outdoor rings,
a hunt course, stalls etc.  I don't know how much it costs to
use the facility: the website should have a contact #.

Let me know what I can do.

Amanda Perez
826 Leigh Mill Rd
Great Falls VA 22066

I'm thinking seriously about organizing a clinic  for the
beginner distance
rider. I know several people who are interested in getting
started in the
sport and they have so many questions. As a member of the OD,
AERC, ECTRA
and ridecamp, I know there are lots of fine human resources to
tap. I'll
certainly need to tap a few shoulders to make this happen.

 Here in MD/VA we have both AERC sanctioned endurance rides and
ECTRA CTR's.
It occurs to me that there is no reason that a single clinic
couldn't be
used to acquaint the beginning distance riders with both
organizations and
their similarities and differences. Obviously, how you ride,
train, feed and
care for your horse is pretty much the same regardless of the
venue. As I'm
only now considering the "how to" of putting on a clinic I'd
love to get
suggestions for topics to cover. Consider this from the view
point of a
beginning or novice competitor. Some people have their horses
entirely in
their own care but many in this area board their horses. Many
have never
camped with their horses. Some are even looking for a new
horse, a new
saddle, etc.

Please take a little time to give me suggestions, be as
specific as you
want. Have you ever participated in a similar clinic? What did
you find
helpful? What went wrong? What format did it take? Would you
consider
helping with a clinic here in the Southern MD/Northern VA
area?  Hope to
hear from you folks!

Bonnie Snodgrass

Get your own "800" number