Re: RC: Re: LD AND OPINIONS]

In a message dated 01/24/2001 8:41:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ribbitttreefrog@yahoo.com writes:

<< Just trying to think of all the reason why a
 non-registered rider might be out there. Or what if you did
 run across a pleasure rider who was riding the same section
 of a trail back to camp and who rode along with you? Do you
 have to tell them to distance themselves so you don't get
 disqualified? >>

The rules say a "non-entered rider cannot PACE an entered one".  This rule
arose from the fact that many years ago, a rider was paced by his crew in a
pickup truck. And yet, on some multi-day rides, the rigs are traveling on the
same road as the riders.  Having a crew drive ahead for five miles and then
be there with water when the rider arrived is not the same as driving
immediately ahead of the horse as a pacer.  Same with a non-entered rider, I
would think.  A rider sent to look for a lost or hurt entrant, and returning
with that entrant to camp could hardly be qualified as a pacer.  As for
pleasure riders one might meet on the trail, I have never seen one who would
want to ride along at endurance pace.  I don't think I see a problem, and if
one is not seen, let's not invent one.

Barbara