Re: RC: Duckrant

In a message dated 01/23/2001 11:02:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
reshan@deyr.ultranet.com writes:

<< But it's damnsure *your* job to maintain your horse's health.
 So if you expect the DVM to keep your horse alive, then be prepared for the
 rant, because it will come. >>

Dave Nicholson treated my husband's horse recently on Death Valley ride.
We've had 30 years of experience in endurance riding, and I can tell you that
there are times when taking the utmost care of one's horse does not always
yield positive results.  We were NOT ever-riding our horses, but his horse
evidently is very prone to dehydration and is a poor drinker on the trail.
So he thumped, and colicked, and was treated with fluids, IV.  I've known
other cases of horses crashing, for unknown reasons, without having been
over-ridden.  I do hope most people realize that not all crashes, nor all
deaths, are caused by over-riding horses.  Some are, yes, but not all.  It's
a painful stigma upon the rider to be branded as having over-ridden his
horse, when such is not the case.  Apparently, this horse's weakness is
dehydration, caused by his reufsal to drink when there is water on the trail
and he needs it.  On the opposite side of the coin is my youngster (6 1/2
years old) who just finished his first two 50 milers at Death Valley.  He has
always been a drinker, even at home.  Every time water is available, he
drinks, even 1/2 mile from the start of a training ride here at home.  It's
just his nature, thank goodness.
As for Dave's "ranting", that's just the way he talks.  It may be a putoff to
some, but that's the way he is.  Sometimes it's hard to know when he's
joking, but I appreciate his philosophy that it's the rider's responsibility
to take care of the horse.  I also appreciate the fact that he has twice
treated my husband's silly horse for dehydration.  Now, how to deal with a
non-drinking horse.............

Barbara