Re: Gaited 50/50

Title: Re: Gaited 50/50
Hello Amber,

Inheritance of gait is complex, mysterious and fascinating.  I suspect there is more than a single gene involved.  There is a conformation factor that has to do with limb length and angulation, shoulder, hip and hoof angle,  and back length. Learned behaviour has an influence as well.

I have no experience with FTs and TWHs (apart from admiring them on the trail) but in Paso Finos and Peruvians, gaited x gaited matings produce gait nearly 100 percent of the time.  Some of the offspring gait at liberty, and show strong gait even as weanlings and yearlings, others do a 4-beat trot that the Paso Fino folks refer to as "trocha", and some will do a square 2-beat trot until started under saddle and learing to collect and use their hindquarters correctly.

I have observed, during the past 17 years of breeding and riding Paso Finos and Walkaloosas, that the percentage of gaited foals from a gaited/non-gaited cross seems to be related to how strongly gaited (or how "lateral") the gaited parent is.  There are some Peruvians, very lateral and strong in their gait, that will produce over 95% gaited foals, including some from QH mares whose conformation appeared not conducive at all to 4-beat gait.  The conformation of the non-gaited parent has a strong influence, as well.  There are some Arabians (I shared trail with one gorgeous stallion at a ride) who will do a very nice 4-beat gait when ridden in the company of a Paso, although they trot otherwise.   Likewise, I have encountered QHs and Morgans that did a 4-beat very rapid walk, and many mules that did some sort of intermediate gait that appeared to be a 4-beat and which certainly appeared very smooth.

Deb Bennett and Jorge de Moya (a Paso Fino judge and trainer) have both said that *all* horses posess the ability to gait, and to trot, with sufficient training and skill on the part of the rider.

Patty

 I just received a post on my endurance listserver from a woman that has an Arabian Stallion. She has bred him to a FT and a TWH. She told me that it was told to her that breeding a gaited to gaited will only give you a 50/50 chance of the get being gaited. A gaited stallion to a non gaited mare is the same, 50/50 and breeding a gaited mare to non gaited Stallion is a 100% shoo in. I find this hard to believe. Would like some input to send back to her.
 amber

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Patricia O'Rourke
Rainbow Ranch Icelandic Sheep/Paso Fino Horses
Clayton, WA  99110
(509) 233-2283
http://www.skyfamily.com/rainbowranch1

*May those who love us, love us.
And those who don't love us, may
God turn their hearts.
If He doesn't turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles,
so we may know them by their limping.
                                         *Ancient Irish Blessing*