[Fwd: Re: RC: Debate on rolled toes (long)]

I also read this article with interest.  Actually, there were two
different articles with somewhat conflicting opinions.  Being a
"two-week wonder farrier", I try to learn all I can from everyone, sort
it out best I can and then make what is hopefully an informed decision
as to what's best for my horse.

There is an interesting article in Equus this month ("Hooves Under
Pressure") which discusses loading of the foot and how the horse's limb
dissipates the force of impact.  It also discusses how foot physiology
relates to this with regard to the "natural" foot of a mustang. In
simple terms, it suggests that research indicates that the hoof angle
should be the same as the angle of the pastern and that the heel should
bear most of the weight of the foot.  The heel/frog should absorb most
of the impact...but impact is not absorbed by the digital cushion as was
previously thought.  In fact, the digital cushion has LESS pressure at
impact, contradicting previous studies.  The outward flex of the lateral
cartilage of the hoof wall at impact creates a vacuum, forcing blood
into the network of blood vessels in the lateral cartilage of the hoof
wall. Bottom line, impact is absorbed by FLUID (blood) ...not the hoof.
This would lend some credence to the theory that if shoeing keeps the
foot from flexing, then it could possibly defeat the impact absorption
mechanism of the foot.  This article does not discuss the use of the toe
to "dig in and impel", but I suspect a horse would be able to "dig in
and impel", no matter what length toe he had.  The author believes that
"the horse was intended to carry most his weight on the rear portion of
the sole, not on his toes or hoof walls". Long toes, in his opinion, are
undesirable.

Well worth your time to track down this month's Equus and read the
article.

Jim and Sun of Dimanche